Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Top 10 Travel Experiences: Ha Long Bay, Vietnam

 

Hạ Long Bay, Vietnam


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hạ Long Bay or Halong Bay (Vietnamese: Vịnh Hạ Long, pronounced [vînˀ hâːˀ lawŋm] ) is a bay located in Northeastern Vietnam, administered by Quảng Ninh province. The name Hạ Long means "descending dragon". It features thousands of limestone karsts and islets in various shapes and sizes, for which it is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular travel destination. 

This was a stop on a tour of Vietnam that I took several years ago on my way to visit with the family of a former exchange student in Saigon (Ho Chi Min City).  Phuc has made a life here in Baton Rouge.  He graduated from Southeastern and manages a Bubble Tea shop in Baton Rouge.  So I had to go visit his family without him.  I was fortunate that his brother was going to be home to be the translator.  He was an exchange student in Canada and lives and works there now.  

You know for many in Vietnam, the parents want a better life for their children.  They want their children to live in freedom so they sacrifice to be able to afford to send their children on exchange years and then university.  When I visited with his dad, he told me that he did not want his children to live in a community country.  His family is Catholic and the government does let them practice their religion; however, supervisor or leadership positions in every workplace is limited to those in the party.  His dad is fortunate that he is a high school physics teacher and the school needs him.  He said he has taught many of the current leaders in his community (school principal, police chief, etc.)  Although I was visiting with a student's family, I wanted to see the rest of the country and did not want to burden them with this responsibility.  This worked out well as they took care of me once I arrive in Saigon.  

Travel Tip:  When visiting an unfamiliar country with language and cultural differences it may be best to take a tour.  I have used the site, TourRadar, for most of my trips.  It is a collection of various offerings from different tour companies.  I have been please with all of the ones that I have chosen; however, I am careful to check reviews of the specific tour and read the details of the agenda.  

My visit to Ha Long Bay was an overnight cruise which is one reason it made my list.  We didn't go very far, but was able to anchor in the bay and enjoy the sunset and sunrise over this beautiful spot in God's creation.  Everyone loves sunrises and sunsets.  
















The Meaning: "The name 'Ha Long,' meaning 'descending dragon,' is rooted in legend. A great dragon plunged into the sea, carving valleys with its tail and leaving only the peaks visible."








No comments:

Post a Comment